Friday 3 July 2009

Melting Pot


Good Greif it's been hot around our parts this week!! It's been so relentlessly hot, all I've been able to do is flop around the house mopping my brow. I tried to do some sewing but the needle kept slipping from my sweaty hands. I wonder what the Health and Safety people would say about that? "Don't go out, don't forget your factor 80, put sunglasses on babies (???), don't handle sharp objects, don't enjoy the summer, don't live incase you die, but don't blame us if you end up with a vitamin D deficiency".

So instead of sewing, i've been slaving over a hot stove. Jam waiteth for no woman, and the blackcurrants and gooseberries needed my attention before the birds got them. Honestly, last year I wasn't quick enough and then it was a case of "now you see them, now you don't".


Here we have Blackcurrant Jelly and Gooseberry and Elderflower Jelly.

The Carnival began this evening, and the sounds and screams of the funfair are filling the air along with the smell of hot dogs and candyfloss. I'm enjoying the party atmosphere whilst sipping beetroot wine with a splish of rose syrup in my garden. BLISS.


Tommorrow, the main event, starting with the shirt race (which Mr Marmalade is in), procession of floats, morris dancing, brass band, carnival queen, and all the other attractions including dancing sheep and dogs. Ah yes, this is England in the summertime!!



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What on Earth is a shirt race? Racing in a shirt? Racing toward a shirt? I have no clue...

Gina said...

Enjoy your weekend Julia.

laoi gaul~williams said...

have a great weekend~its been hot here and i have been in bed either throwing off the covers or shivering!

menopausalmusing said...

What a lovely post, and where do you get those pretty jars?

Adam said...

Peppermintpatcher: see http://www.eynshamcarnival.com/cp3.php?PHPSESSID=780e377fcd3cd78748ba67d958a26de0

The Coffee Lady said...

god, but that wine looks nice

Heart in the country said...

Jam looks delicious, and wonderful jars!

Enjoy the carnival.

Jane Le Galloudec said...

When the weather is this good... who would want to be anywhere else? Just a shame that you can never count on having such a wonderful summer! I know a secret spot where I pick wild blackberries... but I dont think they are ready for another month... if yours are ready so soon I shall have to go check! :-)

Diane said...

Ive seen piccies of Mr Marmalade, and I'm hoping that the race entails him taking his shirt off!! My hubby says I'm like one of the "old lady" charachters from Harry Enfield - can you remember the ones who used to say ""OOO Young man!!" !!!!!

Gone to Earth said...

That beetrrot wine has a lovely colour... what does it taste like? What's a shirt race? We have caterpillar races.... for which you need to be a in a team with the tallest people 'cos that gives you a distinct advantage... (the Pimms helps too !) But 'shirt race' no that's definitely a new one.