Friday 21 March 2008

The Green Green Glass of Home


In America, they call it Thrifting ... I'm not sure we could call it that in the UK, most certainly not in Oxford, where charity shops seem to be nearly as expensive as "new" shops. But I still love to rummage around in search of bargains which seem to exist mainly on the "homewares" shelves. This weekend, I was pleased to find these lovely green stemmed wine glasses at £1.50 for the pair. I got them home, gleefully unwrapped them, gave them a nice wash, and as I dried them, hypnotically watching the green glass sparkle in the sunlight streaming through the window, it slowly dawned on me that these are not my first green loves ...

It started with a 23rd birthday gift now one of my treasures, held together by wax and given to me by my oldest friend who had sureptitiously noticed my admiration of it, every time we walked past the shop where it used to live ...



Then there was a "coming back from holiday gift" (Hungary I think) from my Mother in Law:


I love this collection of vintage bottles collected over time from here and there:



And another, from a "bottles we have dug up" stall at Oxford Craft Market on Thursdays ...


Another bottle, another room ...



My oldest friend (Oh .. by oldest friend, i mean, the person I have been friends with for the longest time .. she is not the oldest of my friends ... oh .. you know what i mean!) now lives in Italy, where I came across this, not technically glass .. but I have many of these too .. all different shades of green .. i shan't bore you with the details!


2 comments:

Kathi D said...

Each one beautiful! I am a lover of green, too.

muralimanohar said...

Green is it. How did it take you so long to realize you loved it so much? :p