Wednesday, 3 September 2008

New Idea, Same Old Fabric


For a long time, I've been trying to figure out how to make a nice purse. The Amy Butler card holder was a good stepping stone to getting an insight into how to develop a good wallet design.


Several drawings, 10 pattern pieces and one prototype later, this magicked itself from my worktable ...


I wanted my purse to be compact and slimline but to have plenty of space for everything "pursable" with the opportunity to mix co-ordinating fabrics (my favourite part of the process), and add lots of contrasting top stitching to strengthen and define each section.


I wanted space for coins ..

And for cards and notes ...


I'm quite pleased with the result though it still needs a few tweaks. And I really want to work out how to incorporate a little window for photos.

6 comments:

jellybelly*jellybrain said...

Wow - that's really funky!
Lisa at Uhandblog has a good tutorial for inserting a plastic but which you might be able to adapt for your photographs?
http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2007/02/had_a_quiet_wee.html

Helen said...

It looks great! The topstitching is lovely and very very neat!

Gina said...

That looks great and the fabric is brilliant!

Florence said...

What a gorgeous design - I love the wavey top. I agree, any project that allows picking co-ordinating fabrics is lot of fun.

Indigo Blue said...

To create a window I have used the PVC flat CD cases that you can get with the little flaps, they are flexible. You can sew through them on the machine with a larger stitch ti stop spliting and they are strong. Be careful what typesof plastic as it can 'Scar' if creased too much during making. I must have a go at the card holder soon.

dottycookie said...

Youp made a far better job of modifying that idea than I did! It looks like a fab wallet.