Thursday 26 February 2009

Garden Delight


Right ... before I was so rudely interrupted by the big boob scandal, I was going to tell you about my weekend in the garden.


It was glorious weather! Just right for tidying, sorting and planning in the garden, it was positivly scorching if you stood in the sunshine - of which there was plenty. Now as I've said before, I'm good at growing veg, but rubbish at flowery gardens, and I think this is because of my "everything must be beautiful AND useful" philosophy. But I like to sit in a pretty garden in the summer, so i've come up with a plan.

I want to make an "elemental" garden. North, East, South, West.

In the North there will be a bed where food grows. I have in this bed already strawberries, a fig tree, blackberries, gooseberries, and some herbs. I will add more fruit and more 'ornamental' edibles which I wouldn't grow in the allotment. North represents earth, and earth is where our stability and nourishment comes from.


In the East there will be fragrant herbs. East represents air. Air carries scent and sound, and awakens the senses, the imagination and the intellect. It is where the power of thought resides.


In the South there will be bright sunny flowers in shades of red, yellow, orange, pink and perhaps a little white. South represents fire, the heat of passion, warmth, sun, high energy and creativity.


In the West will be a "woodland" area. Dominated by a huge ash tree and a smaller holly tree, this is a shady area of the garden, where ivy grows, wood rots, and lots of shade tolerant herbs and flowers will grow. Being shady means that the ground is wetter than elsewhere. West represents water and emotion. The flow of feeling.


The lawn in the middle of all this is round to bring all of these elements together and provide a circular space suitable for meditation and relaxation.

There will be flowers for cutting: sweet peas, annenomies, tulips, dahlia's and roses, but most of the plants and flowers I plant will be herbs.

for drying ..

cooking ..

beauty ...

and medicine..


Talking of which. There's nothing quite like a bit of carrot cake and a cup of tea to help the gardening along!


12 comments:

Jo Power said...

Oh my god I love this idea its fab. Unfortunatly I could never achieve anything like this but I have my allotment which I love. At home the gard4en is the childrens and as such is a horrible mess which I started tiding yesterday must be something in the air. Good luck and can't wait to see pictures of the finished garden.

Kitty said...

I'm sure it's going to be beautiful Julia - it puts my rectangle of grass to shame! x

Jane Le Galloudec said...

Julia this is an absolutely brilliant idea. I've often thought that my own garden lacks a meditation space... but I am only just getting to grips with growing food... I dont think I could manage the flowers at the same time!

Selfsewn said...

Sounds like my garden!!
I love Jekka too. (pass the carrot cake along!)

Where did the sunshine go?

Clare

ps. I measured my boobs and it said I was a c cup, which is what size I wear. I do find however its best just to try different sizes on, as some companies (usually fashion shops) make way too tiny bras.

Gone to Earth said...

That idea is pure genuis. Love Jekka Mcvicar too. She has done occasional videos with Jamie Oliver and herbs and her website is great. If the weather holds we're supposed to be setting out a new herb bed at the allotment this weekend. I wonder if we'll choose the same varieties. I want some 'male' bronze fennel to attract the hover flies. Apparently you can volunteer parts of your garden/allotment for use for local beekeepers. (They're struggling to find enough places of locate their hives) So, I'm currently investigating becomeing a foster mum to a set of beehives. I'm hoping that they don't take much 'fostering' apart from watching.....

Pink Feather Paradise said...

Sounds fantastic, I will watch with interest to see how your garden grows!

It is bitterly cold today, but I have still hung the washing out... you never know it might dry!

X Alex

laoi gaul~williams said...

how fantastic! you really must keep us posted with lots of photos!

Taz said...

What a wonderful idea. My garden is huge and set out in a weird way (by previous owners) I would so love to do so much with it but it all becomes too much for my poor brain. This year though I will be replanting my vegetable plot though... I am determined.

tess said...

what a wonderful way to embrace garden design. there has been lots of garden designing here, but by my 8 year old son, who discovered in an ITC lesson the fun of the bbc websites virtual garden, and he keeps planning "new gardens" for us, the last one had a slide going into the pond - not very conducive for meditating.....

Becky said...

I have to admit that gardening hasn't really been my thing--I used to joke that I have a black thumb. And it's something I haven't messed with since I was a kid helping in my parents' garden. I've developed a greater appreciation for it over the past year though, since the part-time job I have in-season to supplement my music is at a garden center! (Maybe all that deadheading and such when the register is slow has improved my thumb to brown?) But I absolutely loved reading about your garden plan-- it sounds like it'll be beautiful and functional, and I like the idea of making it elemental!

Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful. x

Mrs Moog said...

Can't wait to see how your garden grows! If the north facing veg plot works I'll know what to plant in my front garden next year! This year is a no go, as it's covered in bedroom ceiling!!

xxx