Monday 13 April 2009

Patchwork Purses


It's been a busy bank holiday weekend in The House of Marmalade. We've been on the allotment, walking in the countryside, eating chocolate, and i've been in the sewing room.

Do you ever get those moods where you want to sew something, but you don't quite know what?


I have found that this type of mood is perfect for playing around and experimenting, when it doesn't matter if things go wrong - infact mistakes can turn into a series of happy accidents, ideas happen that you may not have had otherwise, and creativity flows from the challenge to make something beautiful from little bits and bobs which otherwise may not be used.

So I raided my scraps box, and came up with these little pouches and purses.


I found an old bangle and thought it might make a good 'handle' for this little purse which is big enough for a night's essentials. Phone, lipstick, money. Guaranteed to make you look good on the dancefloor - if you are so inclined!


This is my favourite. Call me stupid, but I didn't realise that it wouldn't be possible to get hold of metres of the Moda Urban Chicks Swell fabric range when I wanted. It seems, much to my dismay, these are annual ranges, so all I have left of the Swell fabrics i bought last year, are a few bits of jelly roll and a couple of scraps. Humph.

Stitch some together with coordinating bits though, and hey presto. Small things come in beautiful packages.

My friend BillyJane is doing a stall at the Village Carnival in aid of Help for Heroes which is a charity set up to help wounded soldiers - of which there are many including her son BillyJon. So these little pouches, plus other things I will make before July, are going to her stall for this very worthy cause.


13 comments:

Fancy Elastic said...

Great purses, and I love that moda swell too... argh, how dare they stop producing things... why?!

x

silverpebble said...

These are such great purses and bags Julia. Fabulous cause too - and your village has a carnival? Are there floats and everything? DO you break out the feathery outfit?

Gina said...

The bags and purses are lovely.

Jane Le Galloudec said...

The Eynsham Carnival is GREAT Silverpebble! Yes there are floats and bands and a parade through the village and lots of stalls and music (and beer tent!!) and fun fair. Haven't noticed Julia in feathers though... mmm. perhaps she just needs encouraging! The little purses are fab... You are soooo clever!

Diane said...

Lovely little bags. I need to catch the crafting bug again. The fine weather see's me abandoning my sewing machine and heading into the garden. xx

Sew Create It - Jane said...

great purses...bet they will sell well.

Kitty said...

I agree - being in the mood to just play around with fabric, is a good thing and can result in fabulous 'stuff' - like these purses and pouches. They're lovely. x

Anonymous said...

What beautiful creations and what a good cause :)
Boy, I love your blog!

Indigo Blue said...

I have had the 'I want to make something but I can't be bothered' state this week! I think that I will hit the scrap box right now and see if I can cure it.
x

Pink Feather Paradise said...

I love the pouches and purses, such beautiful combinations of colour

X Alex

jennyflowerblue said...

Oh what fun you've had! It all looks delicious. xx

Tracy said...

These are pretty little number, Julia...love those bright, jolly fabrics...great designs too! :o) ((HUGS))

Gone to Earth said...

I love those purses you've made. I don't know why Moda do that with their fabric designs either... especially when some of them are so beautiful.

I followed the link to BillyJon and I was a bit choked for while. Wow, his family must be so proud of how he's pushed himself to conquer all that pain and despair. I've bookmarked the site because there must be something I can contribute to help give others those opportunities.