Thursday 6 March 2008

When is a carpet bag, not a carpet bag?

Over the weekend, I was delighted to receive my latest consignment of U-Handbag contraband. A long wished for Indygo Junction Carpet bag pattern.

I immediately set to work, and came up with this ....


I didn't think it looked much like this ....


And I think i like it better without the frame like this ....


I found the pattern a bit involved and so added some Lam'isms which I have learned from Lisa's lovely tutorials, ie: For the straps, they would have you sew them down one side inside out, turn them through (difficult with anything heavier than cotton) and then insert fused interfacing afterwards!!! This seemed a bit daft, so I just made a strap as per this tutorial, which was much easier, but I made them too fat. My frame channel was a bit too long for the frame too, but I think that must have been my measuring/seam allowance ratios.

But not all is lost, because this bag will fit a Hex frame I think, so I'm going to try that instead, and start again with the carpet bag.

5 comments:

Kathi D said...

Thank you for trying that pattern before I got to it! I have had it for a while but it looks daunting. Now I'll have an edge when I do get to it, with your helpful comments. I haven't used one of those frames yet--again, I have some, but they look a little scary.

Kathi D said...

P.S. The fabrics you used are lovely!

JuliaB said...

Thank you for your comments! Oh dear, i didn't mean it to sound toooo difficult. It's really very easy, if you've made a few bags already. But the tube frame is only a matter of making a channel in the bag the correct size (length) for it to go through - mine were a bit too long for some reason. Grr.. However, watch this space as I'm determined to make another! (I have 2 frames to get through aswell!)

Anonymous said...

Fab choice of fabrics. I have made that very bag a few times. The pattern itself is easy, but I think it could have been written in more simpler way or add a few more diagrams. The casing will be a bit too long so as to hide the metal hinges, also if I remember correctly the seam allowance is kinda generous so it's important to bear that in mind (like I didn't the first time)!

I love the idea of substituting a hex frame :)

Joanne said...

nice bag - I like making something your own. It's never wrong - just different.

I like the term Lamisms