Tuesday 15 September 2009

Swapping Seeds



Dear Friends and Fellow Bloggers. Thank you so much for your lovely kind words and comments on my last post, some of which were delivered privately or personally. Thankyou! There's nothing quite like blogging to make you feel as if "it's not just me" and the kindness of this community never fails to amaze and delight me, bringing a smile through the darkest of days. I know that most of us have experienced this lovely warmth in times of need.

Special and huge Thank You to Pomona, who sent me the lovely package pictured above which arrived today. The lavender pouches (which I photographed before unwrapping the lovely pink paper) are scenting my whole house as I type, with their delicate fragrance. Lovely! There's nothing quite like lavender to lift the spirits and relax the mind, and it's arrival seems like a perfectly appropriate moment to resume my seed swapping plan.

I have made a button


copy this code:
<em>&lt;a href=&quot;http://marmaladekiss.blogspot.com/2009/09/swapping-seeds.html&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3923038627_821454251a_o.jpg&quot; width=&quot;300&quot; height=&quot;300&quot; alt=&quot;seedswap&quot; /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;</em>

And so far the following lovely ladies have expressed an interest in taking part:


A couple more have also left tentative comments but I don't want to push, so if you are one of those ladies, please do let me know if you managed to find some seeds to swap.

How I dislike rules, but I guess they are necessary, so here are some (lets make it easy) - I am sorry if they sound overly officious!:

1) Participants should swap 2 variety of seeds which have been collected this summer/autumn either from their garden, or from the hedgerow around their home. They must be labelled clearly with instructions if appropriate.
2) Swap package should include a recipe for 'preserving summer', perhaps a chutney or a jam, or a pickle, ie: a recipe designed to preserve the summer harvest for the dark days of winter.
3) Posting deadline is by 30 September - I guess we'll all have seeds by then!
4) Seeds can include flowers or vegetables, the more unusual (ie: heritage seeds) the better.
5) You can send more than 2 varieties, but this is the minimum.

I'll leave the creativity of the packaging up to you!

So as to give more people a chance to enter, I will announce swap partners on Sunday 20 September. Please put the button on your blog and leave a comment here to confirm participation!










12 comments:

Pomona said...

Yes - count me in - it'll be more flowers I think!

Pomona x

Twiggy said...

I'll pop the button on my blog !!
twiggy x

Gina said...

Hi Julia, count me in! I'll try to get the button on my blog if I can work out how!

Anonymous said...

Im going to pass this year, but I am considering this a kick up the backside to think about it properly next year.

Jen

Rebecca said...

Hi, i'm glad to see that you seem to be feeling a bit better sort of, I did read your previous post and wanted to send you a big virtual hug. I would love to take part in the swap, but alas i dont have any seeds to swap, maybe next year x

The Coffee Lady said...

I wish I had some seeds; it sounds fun.

Anonymous said...

i love this idea and i love the button you have made x please count me in x

The Curious Cat said...

What a lovely idea! I have no garden so I feel that unfortunately I'll have to bow out but I hope everyone gets a lot of joy out of this great task! Brilliant thinking! xxx

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hello Julia
I love the idea of your seed swap and would have loved to take part, but I am the worlds most persistent and attentive 'dead-header' of flowers in the garden!! Yes, I know I should let some plants go to seed.... but I'm always trying to prolong the flowering season. But your swap idea has prompted me to let some plants go to seed in future. I will copy your button though and put it on my sidebar to direct people across to your lovely swap.
Have a super rest of the week!
Denise x

https://indoorplantspotsanddoilies.blogspot.com/ said...

Lovely idea
Cute labels;-)

Indigo Blue said...

Hi Julia,
Could I take part? I have some seeds spare which I also sent to Kitty, I shall try and find a second set of something, I do not have many flowers which produce seeds but I will ask my in-laws if not.
xx

Unknown said...

I'd love to be a part of the seed swap! I will try and put the button on my blog

Shelley
www.meadowstitch.blogspot.com